picture courtesy of NASA Image Exchange
to your MOON MISSION! Since you are traveling to a new place, you
will want to know some basic lunar information. This virtual field
trip will help you accomplish your mission. On this trip, you will
visit several moon sites and collect information to complete your Moon
Mission Portfolio. You will compile your findings and then you will
give it to your mission commander.
Your Mission Objectives are:
To learn basic information about the moon.
2. To collect photographs of the moon.
3. To be able to identify and locate at least 5 landmarks on the moon.
4. To report on lunar life support.
You will visit the following sites on the moon. Please click on the links below to go to your destinations.
Moon Slide Show
View the slides and read the text with each slide to answer the questions on your first MoonSheet
Tourist's Guide to the Moon
Go to this site and learn about the sites to visit on the Moon. You might use this information if you choose the postcard option in the Trip Tracks section below.
NIX NASA Image Exchange
Surf through this site to find some great pictures of the moon to take back as souvenirs.
Use this link to find out more lunar information and complete MoonSheet 2.
Lunar Life Support
Use this link to find out about lunar life support and complete MoonSheet 3.
What will you take back from your trip to the moon?
At least 2 of the following items should be in your Moon Mission Portfolio with your MoonSheets 1-3 and your pictures.
1. A paragraph about moon rocks.
Click here for information on moon rocks.
2. A list of the top 10 geographic features of the moon
Click here for a web site with moon nomenclature.
3. A postcard with a picture of the moon and a 5 sentence letter to a friend on Earth. Use the sites from the 2nd and 3rd tour stops to complete this activity.
4. A drawing of a moon house that you would want to live in.
5. A list of the 20 most important things to take with you to your moon house.
Your Mission Portfolio should include:
When you have completed your Mission Portfolio, turn it in to your Mission Commander (your teacher).
Sites to Visit Just for Fun
Private Universe Project
Collecting Moon Rocks during the Apollo Missions
Exploring the Moon: Apollo 11 Mission
Pictures to color
of the moon used as buttons
by Laurie Fowler
Technology in Motion Training Specialist
Many thanks to the Marshall Space Flight Center Educational Resource Center and Alease Sims for the Technology in Motion "real" field trip that inspired this VFT.
out the NASA Educational Web Sites at